Drug discovery is the process of generating compounds and evaluating all their properties to determine the feasibility of selecting one new chemical entity (NCE) to become a safe and effective drug. Pharmaceutical companies are under ever-increasing pressure from both their business competition and the patient population to increase the rate of drug discovery.
(LC) Liquid Chromatography:
LC-MS Method, first what is LC? Chromatography is a separations method that relies on differences in partitioning behavior between a flowing mobile phase and a stationary phase to separate the components in a mixture.
A column holds the stationary phase and the mobile phase carries the sample through it.
Sample components that partition strongly into the stationary phase spend a greater amount of time in the column and are separated from components that stay predominantly in the mobile phase and pass through the column faster.
(MS) Mass Spectrometry:
Mass spectrometers use the difference in mass-to-charge ratio (m/z) of ionized compounds to separate them from each other.
Compounds have distinctive fragmentation patterns that provide structural information to specifically detect compounds.
Types of Mass Spectrometers
- LC-MS (Single Quadrupole)
- LC-MS/MS (Triple Quadrupoles)
- LC-Q (Ion Traps, Linear Ion Traps)
- LC-Q-TRAPS (Quadrupole Linear Ion Traps)
- LC-TOF-MS (Time-of-Flight)
- Q-TOF-MS (Quadrupole Time-of-Flight)
- FT-MS (Fourier Transform)
Analytical Method Development and Validation Methods
- Compatible with GC and HPLC analyses
- Applicable to water, colloids, sediment and biota
- Applicable at environmentally relevant concentrations
- Amenable to automation for high sample throughput
- Cost effective
Development of Analytical Methods
- Optimization (sensitivity and selectivity) of instrument methods used for analysis and confirmation (GC methods used for analysis and confirmation: GC-ECD, GC-MS, LC-MS, GC-MS/MS and LC MS/MS)
- Isomer, enantiomer and stereoisomer, identification and stability (deltamethrin, tralomethrin)
- Evaluation of water extraction methods (liq Evaluation of water extraction methods: liq-liq, SPE, SPME)
- Evaluation of sediment and tissue extraction and matrix separation methods (PFE, GPC, Florisil)